Town of Coopertown is subject to the Tennessee Open Records Act. Background checks will be conducted. EOE
*Full-time position for Patrol Officer of Coopertown Police Department*
Applications will be accepted through Friday, December 10, 2021 at 3:00pm. CST
The successful applicant must meet the following criteria:
• Be at least 21 years of age.
• High school degree or equivalent. (A bachelor’s degree in criminal justice and/or additional certifications are a plus)
• Possess a valid Tennessee driver’s license
• Must be able to be POST certified as an officer in the State of Tennessee (meaning the applicant must be able to successfully complete a Tennessee POST approved law enforcement academy or transition school).
• Be able to qualify with firearms
• Pass a drug screen, psychological, polygraph, and physical examination.
• Be of good moral character determined by background investigation
• Not been convicted of or pleaded guilty to or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge or to any violation of any federal or state laws or city ordinances relating to force, violence, theft, dishonesty, gambling, liquor, or controlled substances.
• Not been released or discharged under any other than honorable discharge from any of the armed forces of the United States.
Starting pay range is $37,500 to $46,000. Salary is DOQ
*** $3,500 SIGN ON BONUS FOR CERTIFIED OFFICERS, RESTRICTIONS APPLY. ***
Benefits include, but not limited to:
1. Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance
2. Matching TCRS retirement plan
3. Paid Time off (Sick, Vacation, Personal & Comp)
4. Take-Home car allowance within 30 miles of City limits (For Certified Police Officers only)
5. Discounted Tuition through Columbia Southern University
6. Uniforms, Firearms and Training provided to Officers
Mail resume, cover letter, and full list of training and certifications to:
Town of Coopertown,
2525 Burgess Gower Rd.,
Springfield, TN 37172,
Attn: Emily McKellar
PURPOSE: Performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled maintenance work and operates a variety of equipment in the construction, maintenance and repair and/or replacement of town roads and drainage of right of ways
SUPERVISION RECEIVED; Works under the immediate supervision of the Street Department Foreman and/or Supervisor
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates light and heavy trucks, tractor, bucket truck, backhoes, chippers, chainsaws, pressure washer, mowers and other equipment as assigned
- Responsible for maintenance of equipment assigned such as greasing, checking oil, etc.
- Maintains and installs traffic signs and guardrails
- Performs basic carpentry forming and concrete work
- Mows, trims, and operates weed eater on Town road right of ways, City Hall and other town owned properties
- Removes branches/limbs, litter and obstructions from town roads and right of ways
- Patches potholes with asphalt
- Spreads salt/sand/brine on town streets during snow and ice storms
- Ensures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use
- Responds during natural disasters; participates in on-call and standby duties which involves working alone or with co-workers at night, weekends, and holidays to resolve situations that occur after normal business hours.
- Maintains a variety of records as assigned
- Utilize the property safety precautions in all work performed
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Mayor
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Combination of education or experience:
- Basic knowledge of equipment , facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance, construction and repair activities;
- Semi-skilled in the purpose and use of general construction tools and equipment
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time
- Ability to work safely and independently
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions to include directions given in a multi-step process.
- Valid state drivers license
- Reliable personal transportation
- OSHA 10 (OSHA 30 a plus)
- Must be able to follow all safety guidelines as established by Federal, State or Town polices and procedures
- Must be able to work non-regular work days and/or hours
- Must pass drug screen and random drug test
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Motorized vehicles and equipment including: dump truck, pickup truck, utility truck, tractor, chipper backhoe, salt/sand spreader, roller, saws, compressors, concrete saw, pressure washer, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, etc.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- The employee must be able to climb ladders, be hoisted to elevations and work, climb over rough terrain while carrying a load of up to 50 pounds
- The employee must be able to work in inclement weather.
- The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts, on roadsides where vehicles are in operation and will be exposed to loud noise.
- The employee may be exposed to fumes, airborne particles, and potentially toxic chemicals. Employee must be able to follow all policies and procedures due to safety issues relating to these exposures.
Town of Coopertown is an Equal Opportunity Employer